Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Memories

It's amazing what one scene can do to provoke a plethora of thoughts and feelings.

I took a different route to my Taymouth Township board meeting today, crossing through Albee Township when I came across Albee Elementary, a school in the Chesaning Union Schools district. Next to it were four old baseball fences, with nothing that resembles a field in front of each. You couldn't even tell where home plate was.

After my meeting, which didn't last too long, I traveled back to the area:



The first thing I thought about was the last time these fields were used. It had to have been years, maybe decades. I thought about the kids that would play in the fields, perhaps for gym class. It made me think of playing sports like that in elementary school, too. The soccer fields at my elementary school, which I abused during my hey-day, are nothing but poles now.

I'm very sentimental when it comes to the past. I always think about what could have been... and the images of my past that I wish I could fully remember, or even live for even a day. The peace and quiet at this field, with nothing but insects chirping, echoes that, in a way. I'm looking forward to my future, especially as a journalist, but I always miss the past, and memories you store away only turn less vivid as you age.

I also took some close-ups on a couple wild flowers. Just trying to get used to the new toy.

No comments: